New lenses arrived!


I've just taken delivery of 2 new lenses for the camera - I've made the (expensive) leap to professional quality lenses. You'll remember from the article posted some time ago, that I was frustrated with the quality of my day-to-day lens.

Anyway, the lenses are the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM. They are very, very large and heavy - mainly because of the large, constant maximum aperture of f/2.8. They will be fantastically versatile - because of the f/2.8 maximum aperture and the IS on the 70-200. IS stands for Image Stabilisation - bascially the lens has some clever electronic gizmos in it that reduce camera shake. This allows 3 stops slower shutter speeds. At the 200mm end of the range, it means that you can hand-hold at 1/30th sec! With the f/2.8 one can take shots in very low light conditions.

I'll post some test shots later when I can find a fork-lift truck to carry them around for me.....

About this entry